14 Jul 2014

abc - Alphabet Book Challenge

alphabet book challenge!

For Term Three I will engage my Year Six pupils in a reading challenge - this year it has an alphabet theme (aiming to fill in each letter of the alphabet with either a title or author or subject of a book they have read).

I have made this booklet on Google Drive and will print it out for the pupils' home learning books so they can keep a record of their reading.
Craft Sites for Kids Clip Art
I don't expect all of the pupils to read 26 different books or magazines but there will be a few that can manage it! Prizes will be given when a pupil completes three, eight, or fifteen items read, as well as a SUPER prize for those who can get to 26 (in just the ten weeks of term!)

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I teach English to kids in Argentina. Sadly, none of them enjoy reading. It's a real chore getting them to use their imagination as they just don't seem to have one... and I think that comes from reading. But you have inspired me to do an alphabet scrapbook with the younger children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, reading is the key and reading a LOT is essential for building vocabulary and seeing how writers use language. In my writing programme I use a lot of small writing tasks (ie rather than write a whole story from start to finish, we will focus on recounting one important event or on describing one element). I use Sheena Cameron and Gail Loane teaching resources for my guidance.

      Delete
    2. Trust me. I try. I try so hard to get them to read and to write. I only have them for a few hours a week. I say a paragraph, they do 2 sentences. I give a fabulous introduction etc., set the scene, but nope. Even the clever kids complain. :( They just don't do it at school, so they have never learnt, and neither is there a love for it.

      Delete
    3. That is tricky then! We are lucky to have the education system that we have here in NZ! Or rather, our children are.

      Delete