I love it because the field trips, once you have registered and they have taken place, can be accessed any time - so if it doesn't suit my programme to follow the trip in real time on the dates the trip takes place, my pupils can still make use of the related resources at another time - for instance in 2012 there was a wetlands field trip which we used about two terms later in the year when it fit better in support of our inquiry.
Term One of 2014 - 25-27 Feb - a field trip to the geo-thermal region of the Bay of Plenty in the North Island of New Zealand is taking place. We will be using it for our reading programme as I think the non-fiction nature of the content will really motivate my boys and my reluctant readers:
The topic of natural disasters is one that many children find fascinating and, as I cannot physically take my southern class to view this North Island area, they will be able to see it via the photos and videos that will take place on the website. They know this is our theme and were excited about what they might find out.
This is a link to the learning resources page I created on our classroom blog for the children to use:
My guided group lessons will be using material based on the geohazard topics also, and the class bookshelf also has library books about the topics. Different reading groups, as per ability, will be given guided or independent activities to complete over the next four weeks, some from the field trip and others based on their guided reading material. These are the independent sheets that I have developed based on the fact sheets in the LEARNZ website.
Supporting materials - guided reading resources: to be used with various groups according to reading ability and interest level of the content...I usually set pre and post tasks for the title, meaning that the group has at least three days of activities with the guided text and one day of an independent activity using other resources (but that is a whole other blog post!)
- Connected 2 2005 - Living on a Lava Flow
- Connected 1 2011 - Ruaumoko Rages; Taupo; Time Capsules; Understanding Volcanoes; Living With a Volcano
- School Journal Part 2 No. 2 2002 - Make a Volcano
- National Geographic Kids Science Readers Level 2 - Volcanoes!
- School Journal Level 3 Nov 2011 - One City, Two Earthquakes
- School Journal Story Library Level 3 - Quake, Rattle and Roll
- Connected 2 2000 - Jago Descends
- MainSails 2 - The Volcano Awakes!
- MainSails 2 - Tsunami!
- School Journal Part 4 No 3 2004 - A Bit of a Bang
- MacMillan Winners - Killer Quakes
- Scholastic Connectors - Extreme Scientists